Early in 2006, it was already few years of JIRA launched when I got a chance to use JIRA, I was not very impressed by its interface and interactions, as there were already established tracking tools both commercial and open source variants. However, later when I revisited in 2012 that was a complete overhaul and new experience of matured system ! Since then I have been a great fan of JIRA tool, a must by every team to track their progress and issues. Don’t believe me? Then this post is just for you –
- What is JIRA?
JIRA is a management tool that helps is tracking a project in its various stages like issues, requirements or bugs. For any type of project be it information technology or other domain. It’s crucial to plan, track, and release great product and JIRA helps in achieving that goal. JIRA is highly customizable and can be tailored to fit any workflow we need.
JIRA is one of the prime solution from well known engineering support system from Atlassian. Adopted since 2002 by industry from Tier-1 giants to smallest start-ups across the globe..
- Features of JIRA
So, what JIRA capable of?
- Track Projects, engineering milestones, tasks, bugs or anything!
- Easily fitted for any team size ranging from 2 to 100s.
- Agile teams can stay focused on delivering iterative and incremental value, as fast as possible, with customizable scrum boards.
- Flexible kanban boards give your team full visibility into what’s next so you can continuously deliver maximum output in minimal cycle time
- Easy Integrations with various other applications means more power to JIRA and more efficient is team.
- 1000+ add ons, Install plug-and-play add-ons from The Atlassian Marketplace to extend JIRA Software to fit multiple use cases as readily extendible
- Connect JIRA Software to Bitbucket or GitHub and provide your team with end-to-end traceabiliy, from backlog to deployment
- Create custom workflows of any size that match the exact way your teams build, test, and release software. This allows you to track multiple, unrelated projects all within a single JIRA instance.
- Integrate JIRA Software with all of the tools that your team is already using by leveraging its robust set of APIs
- Teams have access to more than a dozen out-of-the-box reports with real-time, actionable insights into how their teams are performing sprint over sprint.
- Use JIRA Query Language (JQL) to create quick filters that allow you to see exactly what you need in a single click.
- Fully loaded with Disaster recovery, helps you in reaching out to data in case of emergencies.
- Evaluate your evelopment stage, unless you know where you are, you won’t be able to hit the deadline.
- Accessible through dedicated deployed module or cloud hosted as well for managing capex/Opex costs.
- Flexible incremental licensing model along with growth.
- Atlassian professional support with highest quality and participation to solve / support JIRA usage.
- Who Should Use JIRA?
Ideally, it could be used by any of the firms of any team size. However, JIRA is considered to be the best management tool for teams following Agile methodology.
However, if you are interested to know how many users currently use JIRA, here’s a snippet -
Image Credit - GetApp
- Why JIRA ?
Answer to these questions as YES/NO
- Are you looking for a modern yet simple to use tool?
- Are you looking for a tool that understands Agile and its terms?
- Are you looking for a tool that is compatible across various browsers?
- Are you looking for a tool that supports cloud deployment, on premises and Data Centre?
- Are you looking for a tool that supports seamless integrations to third party applications?
- Are you looking for a tool that supports out of box reporting?
If you have answered a YES to all the questions above, JIRA is the answer!
- JIRA @Teknospire
At Teknospire JIRA is used as an Issue and Task Tracking Tool so it covers - issue tracking, reports, and task tracking. It helps us to see the progress of each task with an estimate on how much is yet to be achieved.
Teknospire is a blogSmall bunch of enthusiast who are aiming to deliver quality software products to make it a delightful experience for the user. JIRA has in a way helped us a lot in delivering what we have promised. Within our team, once the task is created it is monitored on a daily basis, and if there are any issues/bugs with respect to the task, they are linked to the task and raised as bugs. It helps us in getting a clear picture of what is blocking our execution and how to get it moving.
JIRA helps us in getting monthly reports on issue status. Having feature of voters and watchers list will help us in adding/removing people in a particular issue. It allows us to add screenshot or bug report which help us to understand where actually issue exist .
JIRA is undoubtedly the market leader when it comes to Project Management tool. So are you ready to explore?
Content Strategist : Samiksha Seth
Software Engineer - QA : Vikas Ranjan